Here are the Top 12 things to pack before arriving at the hospital. Delivery of the baby is always exciting and at the same time frightening for first-time parents; you need to be ahead of time, well planned, your baby could be arriving earlier, so it’s important to pack a baby hospital bag when you are 34 weeks pregnant.
You don’t need to worry, this checklist has got you covered in planning for the big day, everything you will need for your baby and you.
Top 12 Things to Pack in Your Hospital Bag
You need to cover all the required supplies for the time your baby will spend at the hospital, In fact, the hospital normally requires basic items for babies. We shortlisted the top 12 things to pack, for your convenience so you don’t forget anything.
- Dress: It’s the most exciting item to choose and even more when you don’t know if it’s boy or girl – so choose some gender-neutral items for your baby and most importantly, consider the weather when you are planning these things.
- Wrapping sheet: Hospitals may provide blankets, however, it’s always preferable to have your own wrapping sheet – a hooded one, for your baby, so the skin contact is always with this wrapping sheet.
- Mittens & Booties: Babies get cold easily and whatever the weather is, babies require these items to get covered, as they are new to this world, and it takes some time to adjust.
- Going-home outfit: Consider romper, bodysuits, caps, and vest for the summers, and for winters some extra jacket or covering is handy.
- Bathing Towel: Baby’s soft skin needs to be handled with care, hence get a soft and good quality bathing towel – preferably a hooded one.
- Feeding Bottle: Get a good quality glass feeding bottle for your newborn baby, mother feeding is always preferred, however in cesarean section mother is unable to feed immediately, therefore the hospital requires a feeding bottle to feed your baby.
- Formula Milk Bottle: Ask your doctor prior which formula milk brand is recommended and buy it beforehand, as it will be one of the first things required for babies as soon as they are born.
- Diapers: Pack at least a dozen diapers of newborn size, you may require more depending on the number of days you stay in hospital.
- Pillow: Having a baby pillow for the little one is important, as a newcomer doesn’t have skills to handle the head, so to set and properly rest the head you need to have specialized baby pillows.
- Wet wipes: Wipes are essential for the babies to maintain hygiene.
- Bibs & Washcloth: Babies tend to spit up milk, therefore bibs and face wash clothes are very handy to maintain hygiene for the baby.
- Toiletries: Pack baby powder, lotion, soap, and shampoo as well.
- Cap & hat: Consider having a cap or hat based on the weather, caps are always required whether it’s summer or winter, just the stuff is different based on weather.
- Hand sanitizer: Last but not the least, hand sanitizer is of utmost importance, as the hospital has many types of germs, and you need to be extra cautious when anyone is handling your baby, including you.
Blossom Kids is here to help you prepare for the big day
Checklist of hospital bag for Mother
Packing all the necessary items for the mother is also very important
- Documents: Pack all the documents pertaining to you and your baby i.e. CNIC, medical record of you and baby, health insurance card, or form.
- Cash: Credit/Debit card and bring at least PKR 20,000 hard cash for medicines, snacks, traveling, etc.
- Toiletries: Pack some basic travel items such as toothbrushes, toothpaste, hand wash, soap, deodorant, hairbrush, hairbands, etc.
- Mobile phone charger: It’s one of the most important items to be packed. Having a charger is always considered a top priority as you and your partner need to be connected with family, so in case of any emergency, they could be informed.
- Glasses and/or contact lenses: An important item to keep, as you need to see your baby, with a clear vision.
- Nursing bra: Either you are planning to breastfeed or not, your milk will probably drip out after hours or a day of delivery, a nursing bra will be handy to feed your baby easily.
- Breast Pump: You might not be able to feed after the delivery, due to sitting posture (mostly after cesarean), and here is when breast pumps are handy to feed baby your milk.
- Comfortable clothes: It’s your choice, some are comfortable in hospital dress, however, consider having your own clothes with you, which are suitable after the delivery.
- Pillow: An important item to have, sitting upright for feeding or for any guest, just in case; pillow is very helpful.
- Water bottle: Water is essential for you, your partner, and maybe your baby, if feeding formula milk. Prefer using a good quality packaged bottle, preferably of 5 liters at least.
- Utensils: It’s very important to have some basic utensils such as plates, glass, spoons, etc.